Basic Future Interests is a follow-up tutorial exercise to The Estate System. It deals with the two major classes of future interests, those retained by transferors and those created in third persons. Emphasis is given to distinguishing among the various kinds of vested remainders and contingent remainders, as well as to distinguishing between remainders and executory interests. The lesson also provides the primary treatment of the defeasible fee simple estates, with emphasis on the future interests that tailor them.
This lesson is now broken into 10 separate parts available separately:
- Lesson 1: The Concept of "Future Interest"
- Lesson 2: The Defeasible Estates and Their Future Interests
- Lesson 3: Fee Simple Determinable (and Possibilities of Reverter)
- Lesson 4: Fee Simple on Condition Subsequent (and Rights of Re-entry)
- Lesson 5: Fee Simple On Executory Limitation (and Executory Interests)
- Lesson 6: Reversions
- Lesson 7: Remainders
- Lesson 8: Kinds of Vested and Contingent Remainders
- Lesson 9: Executory Interests
- Lesson 10: Identifying Remainders and Executory Interests