You are here
CALI Author Tips
- You can 'block' the student's use of the next page button, to force the student to try
all answers. In author mode click the 'Info' tab and then the 'Info' subtab and check 'Disable
- You can print the Mapper. Choose the Mapper tab. Then select Mapper-Print. You can also
export the entire lesson as a report. Select File-Save HTML Report. This makes one gigantic
HTML document that you can browse with your web browser or print. It contains all the
text for all questions and answers.
- Sometimes it is hard to think up a clever and memorable, but realistic, fact pattern.
You want scenarios that stick with students. One of our fellows does an online search
for the issue and then skims through the "hits" to find some amazing scenarios.
- You can make CALI Author automatically reopen the last book you worked on and jump to
the last page you were working on. Select View-Options and check 'When books are opened..'
and 'Automatically open...'.
- You can specify how often CALI Author prompts you to save your book. Select View-Options and the 'Authoring & Saving' tab.
- You can get a list of all the images, sounds and videos in your book. Choose the Media
tab. It's next to the Lesson tab that lists your pages.
- You can indent paragraphs by choosing Paragraph-Indent/Outdent.
- You can save a copy of your book by selecting File-Save a copy. This is a convenient way to copy a book to another folder or backup disk.
- You can create more editing room by hiding the outline at the left. Select View-Tree to show and hide it.
- You can find out if you have the most recent version of CALI Author by selecting Help-Latest
Version... (You must be connected to the Internet for this to work.)
- You can save your lesson as a series of web pages. Select File-Export to HTML.
- You can insert an image directly into a text field. Select Insert-Picture.
- You can import pages from another book into your current book. Select Edit-Import Page.
- You can recover from a major mistake editing a particular page. Select Edit-Revert page. This will restore the page and text to what it was when you opened or last saved the book.
- You can see how the CALI Author screens will look at two common screen settings. This
will give you an idea of what a student might be limited to. Select View-640x480 or 800x600.
- You can put a password on your book. Use this before letting your students use your book
to prevent them from switching to author mode. In authoring mode, select File-About this book. Click the 'Codes' tab. Then click on the blank box beneath the Password label.
- You can provide notes to yourself or other professors looking over your lesson. In author mode, click the 'Info' tab and then the 'Notes' tab. Enter your notes about the question.
- You can customize the navigation toolbar to provide buttons to your own popups. In author mode, click the 'Info' tab and then the 'Toolbar' tab.
- You can get a report for each page and print it. In author mode click the 'Report' tab.
- You can create a hyperlink to a popup which doesn't yet exist. Create your link as usual.
When asked to choose where to link it, click the 'New Popup' or 'New Page' button.
- You can create hotspots on a picture and link them to other pages. Create a 'Book Page'.
Select the 'Question' tab and then the 'Picture' tab. 'Browse' to find the picture you want. Now click 'New Hotspot' to add your hotspots.
- You can modify the underlying HTML code used to format your text. Select 'Paragraph-Show HTML'.
- You can paste text copied from a word processor two ways. Standard Paste (Edit-Paste, Ctrl-V) pastes the text and includes any formatting such as underlining. Unformatted paste (Edit-Paste Unformatted, Ctrl-T) pastes only the text and does not include formatting.