This exercise provides an introduction to the act requirement. In particular, it addresses the definition of "act," voluntariness, liability for omissions (failures to act), and possession offenses.
On completion of the lesson, students will be able to:
1. Discuss the act requirement in criminal law.
2. Identify the four parts of the act requirement: act, voluntariness, omission, and possession.
3. Analyze the requirement that criminal liability cannot be imposed without some act.
4. Apply an exception to the act requirement: liability for an omission.
5. Differentiate between implicit and explicit omission liability.
6. List two sources of duties, where their neglect can give rise to omission liability.