This lesson focuses upon the requirements that claims of adverse possession must be exclusive, continuous (without interruption), and that the possessor must satisfy all elements of the adverse possession standard for the applicable statutory period.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Define exclusive possession.
2. Distinguish exclusive possession from nonexclusive possession.
3. Define continuous possession.
4. Explain the statutory period and its use in adverse possession cases.
5. Explain what conduct by the possessor or the true owner is sufficient enough to interrupt the continuity of possession.
6. Assess when the continuity of adverse possession has occurred.
7. Explain the extent to which the applicable statutory period may be "tolled."
8. Explain the extent to which successive periods of adverse possession may be "tacked" together to satisfy the applicable statutory period.