Licenses Contrasted: Easements by Estoppel
This lesson examines the law of licenses, specifically as that law intersects the law of easements. The Lesson first defines licenses and contrasts that definition with the definition of easements. It then explores the circumstances in which a license, normally revocable, becomes irrevocable and explains that an irrevocable license essentially gives the parties the same rights and duties as an easement would.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Define a license.
2. Define an easement by estoppel.
3. Define an easement coupled with an interest.
4. Contrast a license and an easement.
5. Explain the complications arising from the revocability of a license.
6. Discuss the rights and duties of licensors and licensees.