This lesson provides an overview of both criminal and civil contempt. It includes both direct and indirect contempt, as well as compensatory civil contempt and coercive civil contempt. It covers the differences among these types of contempt in their function and procedures and explores why it is important to distinguish among them.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Describe the functions of both criminal and civil contempt.
2. List the four types of contempt.
3. Explain the function of each of the four types of contempt.
4. Explain the importance of distinguishing between the four types of contempt.
5. List the requirements for each type of contempt.