Lesson 10: Basic Future Interests: Identifying Remainders and Executory Interests
This lesson is part of a series of exercises covering Basic Future Interests. While the 10 lessons comprising this series can be worked in any sequence, the lessons do to some degree build on each other. Thus, it is suggested that students work them in order.
Students should complete the Basic Estate System lesson prior to working through this lesson and series.
The 10 lessons are:
- Lesson 1: The Concept of "Future Interest"
- Lesson 2: The Defeasible Estates and Their Future Interests
- Lesson 3: Fee Simple Determinable (and Possibilities of Reverter)
- Lesson 4: Fee Simple on Condition Subsequent (and Rights of Re-entry)
- Lesson 5: Fee Simple On Executory Limitation (and Executory Interests)
- Lesson 6: Reversions
- Lesson 7: Remainders
- Lesson 8: Kinds of Vested and Contingent Remainders
- Lesson 9: Executory Interests
- Lesson 10: Identifying Remainders and Executory Interests
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. List the key identifying features of a remainder.
2. Name the different types of remainders.
3. Identify remainders based on the words that create them.
4. List the key identifying features of an executory interest.
5. Name the different types of executory interests.
6. Identify executory interests based on the words that create them.
7. Contrast remainders from executory interests.