Legal Research Methodology
This lesson is designed to help law students develop their abilities to handle legal research assignments. Students who have some experience doing legal research or who have completed their first year legal research course will benefit the most. Legal Research Methodology may also be used to supplement the learning process for students studying legal research for the first time.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Explain the basics of legal research methodology.
2. Recognize the difference between primary authority and secondary sources.
3. Use the TARP method for generating search terms.
4. Organize research utilizing a research log.
5. Identify when to stop researching.