This lesson covers punctuation and some key points of grammar every law student should know. Getting these key rules down will keep you from losing credibility with your legal-writing teacher, employers, clients, and judges.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Explain why correct grammar and correct punctuation are important in legal writing.
2. Apply the three basic rules for using apostrophes.
3. Apply the five basic rules for using commas.
4. Apply the three basic rules for using quotation marks.
5. Distinguish between independent and dependent clauses.
6. Apply the four basic rules for using semicolons.
7. Explain how to avoid run-on sentences.