This lesson in landlord-tenant law covers the tenancy for years, also known as the estate for years, term for years, or term of years.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Define a tenancy for years.
2. Discuss the choices as to the length of the tenancy for years.
3. Examine the limits on the parties' choice as to duration of the term.
4. Explain the requirement that the term have a definite ending date.
5. Analyze the impact of uncertainty as to the term.
6. Examine the treatment of a lease to commence in the future.
7. Plan the termination of a tenancy for years.
8. Analyze the impact of renewal terms in the lease.