Landlord and Tenant: Periodic Tenancy
This lesson in landlord-tenant law addresses the periodic tenancy, also known as the periodic estate. Topics include creation of the periodic tenancy by express agreement, creation by implication, and termination of the periodic tenancy by notice. Hybrid transactions, which combine elements of the periodic tenancy and the term of years, are also considered. A sample essay exam question is included.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. State the elements necessary to create a periodic tenancy by express agreement.
2. State the elements necessary to create a periodic tenancy by implication.
3. Explain the requirement of advance notice to terminate the periodic tenancy.
4. State the requirements of a proper notice of termination.
5. Identify hybrid leases, which combine the features of the tenancy for years and the periodic tenancy.