Class Action Basics
This lesson teaches the basics of class action procedure under Federal Rule 23. The lesson focuses on the requirements of Rules 23(a) and 23(b). (It does not cover jurisdictional issues, appeals, issues of class management, or class settlement.)
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Identify and apply the four prerequisites under Rule 23(a) that a class must satisfy in order to be certified.
2. Define the term "commonality."
3. Define the term "typicality."
4. Differentiate commonality from typicality.
5. Explain the element of adequacy of representation.
6. Identify the different types of classes allowed under Rule 23(b).
7. Describe the notice requirements under Rule 23(c)(2).